Friday, July 19, 2013

Not Looking So Ultra Yet...

But I have signed up for one in December. There's no turning back now.

Oy. So after my first longer trail run in a long time I was sore for about four days. I've never been sore for that long before. What the hell? I had to walk down the porch steps sideways like my grandma. Actually, my grandma doesn't have to do that.

I persevered and ran recovery runs through this whole time. But man my first few steps off the porch every morning were agony. I must have looked like the walking dead stumbling down the sidewalk. I couldn't hardly bend my knees to begin with on the second day after my run. So what to do? Anyone have any good recovery tricks? I pounded some ibuprofen. It helped a little. I also used some Zyflamend, but a little later in the game so I'm not sure if it truly helped or not. I'll try it out again. What about diet?

What about diet? Are you doin' the paleo thing or are you vegan? Somewhere in between? I tried the Paleo thing for a while during my running hiatus. I was hoping that it would help me look like all those hot Paleo chicks I was seeing on the blogs everywhere. I think it made me fatter. It didn't help me lose any, that's for sure. And I just felt bloated all of the time. Fail. Some swear by a vegan diet, that it helps recovery especially. I don't know if I can forgo the cheese and occasional savory meats for the rest of my life...

And, obviously I just can't jive with the "no long distance running thing" that so many Paleos espouse. Obviously, or I wouldn't be going down the ultra road again, so to speak. The best I've ever felt was when I was in great running shape. I don't deny that the Paleos have found something that must be working for them. It doesn't work for me. Now I find that truly fascinating. Are we humans all so very different that these very different ways of living work for us all differently? Interesting.

Back to diet. So I think I'll try a more low fat way of eating with lots of fruit and veggies. I have to cut down on the dairy, and the meats. I figure that also all of the training will carve off lots what needs carving off. Not that I'm huge or anything, but I'm not rail thin either. I can't wait to feel light and fast again like I used to.

Any suggestions? What have you found that works? Discuss!

Oh and Happy Friday everyone!

PS - Obligatory Run Report: I'll be doing an easy 5er tomorrow and then a more challenging 11 or so on my favorite trails Sunday.


1 comment:

  1. In regards to diet I just transitioned closer to vegetarian. Cut down some of the red meats, eat way less if any processed foods. More nuts, berrys and veggies. It has helped significantly. My got recovery is yoga! It has hands down saved my life, eliminates stress among many other things! Thank you for this perspective, it was neat to read and learn with you!

    ReplyDelete