Monday, July 15, 2013

No Sleep 'Til Ultra

I didn't sleep in once this weekend. I treasured the "no alarm clock" Saturday and Sunday mornings, but now I'm not sure why. Saturday and Sunday I was up before dawn to get in some mileage. And I bounded out of bed, happy and energetic. I can sleep when I'm dead.

I've given up the cocktails. Now I have so much energy (especially in the mornings). I don't miss them one bit. They were getting in the way of what I really wanted for myself.

Saturday's run was an easy 5 miler with the pooch. I had to make up for what was coming; leaving her home on Sunday. The streets were peaceful and I only saw a few early morning runners and a couple of cyclists getting out for their rides.

Sunday's run was a coming home. I hadn't been to Wunderlich in a long time, but I knew that it's become quite popular. The last time I ran there the lot was crowded with cars and horse trailers. What had once been a sleepy open space park had suddenly become quite popular. So I got there early and was greeted by an almost empty lot. Gorgeous! And next time I'm going to go there even earlier to get in more miles, more solitude and more critters.

The empty lot also meant less people on the trail and more critter encounters. Eight beautiful deer--bucks, does and a spotted fawn. Countless birds. One cottontail rabbit. And a gorgeous, healthy and fluffy coyote, who stopped to eye me when I paused to say hello.

 I did about 8 miles in Wunderlich. Not nearly as much as I used to do, but I need to rebuild. I feel yesterday's run today in achy quads and a slight stiffness in the shoulders. But I feel great. Really great. I feel like it's finally my time and I'm following the path that I should be taking. I'm thinking of signing up for a 50K in late December -- hold me to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment